My First "No" Vote

As I look back on my first month as City Councilman, I think I have learned something. While we might sometimes differ on the path, I think all the members of the council almost always agree on the destination. This leads to a lot of consensus and an amazing amount of "Yes" votes. Of the 40+ votes that I have cast in my 3 council meetings, I have only cast 1 "No" vote.

Even in this case it was not result that I questioned - waving a utility deposit for a new business locating in Nixa - just the way we were doing it. I don't think we can make ad-hoc decisions that affect people's lives or businesses. We live in a nation of laws, and it works best when everyone knows the rules and everyone plays by them. If it is in that business's best interest, and the city's best interest, to waive the fee, then it is probably also in a lot of other people's best interest to waive their fees as well. If that is so, then we need to change the rule, not just ignore it in certain cases.

I have also learned there are a few big issues that those in community see - fireworks, rezoning - but many, many more that just go by without recognition. I will leave it to our friends in the press to inform you on the big stuff, and I will try though this medium to let you in on some of the smaller - but also important - items.


Communication

One of my key objectives is to improve communication between City Government and the community

Website Redesign Committee - The council formed a committee to revamp the city's website. The committee is made up of Councilman Vogel, city staff, and other community members. Hopefully, this will be a start to better interaction and communication between city government and the community.

City Rules of Order - Ever been to a Council Meeting? It's a little confusing - even to me. That is why the council has moved to formalize the rules of order for the meeting. If you have been to a meeting, it was probably the first - and very likely the last - time. This is why I have asked staff to make a handout available at all council meetings that will outline the rules that are followed.

Public Safety

The city's key responsibility is to provide for the public safety of its residents

McGruff House Program - With the cuts facing the school district, it will become more of a city responsibility to provide for the safety of children on the way to and from school. As part of this the city is working on a "walking school bus" program. Along with that, I have suggested we incorporate the national "McGruff Safe House" program, creating safe havens for children in their communities.

http://www.ncpc.org/programs/mcgruff-neighborhood/mcgruff-house/national-mcgruff-house-network

Fiscal Responsibility

As councilman, it is my key duty to be good steward of the residents' tax dollars.

3rd Party Fraud Hotline - City workers will soon have access to a 3rd party "Fraud Hotline" that will allow them to report, without fear of retribution, any fraud or theft that they see within city government. Hopefully this will allow us to catch issues before they become issues.

High Pointe Water Tower contract - We really didn't have much to do with it, but I still think it is pretty cool. We were able to get a contract for the construction of this water tower using funds on hand - no borrowing - and at $300,000+ below budget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your participation! Please keep comments civil, realvant and accountable (I prefer to know who is commenting).